Friday, March 27, 2009

Conscientious Objections with Benny DC

Every month or so we will be receiving a contribution from my friend and fellow bleeding heart, Benny DC. He'll be acting as the angel on your shoulder, questioning your moral character, the import of your actions, and generally just pissing you off. However, we here at Five Second Delay feel the need to provide contrasting opinions, so long as we get to decide when and how that opinion is transmitted. Do it to us, Benny:
---
NCAA, Emcee Double Schmay

Alright. I still think you all are a waste of space, but I like your pictures.

I want to say this, about the most "betted-upon" sporting series in all of athletics: how do you sporty folk get me to buy into your damn pool every single time? And its not just me . . . last week a young women, new to our office, came to me for help filling in her bracket because she wasn't familiar with the concept of a single elimination tournament. Your sway rules over even the most unitiated these weeks.

It seems odd that college basketball should be the event that encourages such widespread participation. While the structure of the tournament itself is undeniably exciting, only the most sports-initiated know the players, and pretty much only alumni care who wins. People love those mascots, but its probably a fetish. And everyone praises how these kids are playing for the love of the game, rather than the money, but let's get serious - they are playing for the money.

So while you guys keep shoveling me the same B.S. that "Awwww, man, anyone can win this thing" to buy into your pool - I really don't believe that. Come 2010, you're not getting my 5 bucks and I'm not even entering a bracket. Even if some-chick-your-buddy-was-
dating-who-picked-teams-based-on-which-teams-had-the-prettier- colors won last year.


P.S. I can't follow your cheeky insider NCAA discussion even a little bit. Seriously, are you even trying to cultivate a readership?
---
Thanks again, Benny. You're money is always good around here. But who the shit let you in for just $5? I will be collecting the other $45 very soon. Expect a visit from a rather disagreeable fellow in the near future. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment