Friday, October 23, 2009

En Route: Broodin'





Let's say you have an ex-girlfriend (excuse me, Ginge; boyfriend).  Let's say you just happen to still see each other from time to time out of necessity.  Let's say it was an obviously huge mistake.  Let's just say that the two of you NEVER talk anymore.  You avoid eye contact, frequently wear your i-pod to avoid listening to them speak, and wish that one of you would move away to alleviate the awkward situation that remains.  Let's say that.

So what happens one the the ex-girlfriend says, excuse me, e-mails the following thing to you:

So, like, are we ever going to like, talk again... like?

What on planet blue balls are you supposed to say to something like that?

Yes?

No?

Please kill yourself?

And regardless of the answer, what is the prognosis for behavior after that juvenile e-mail thread is concluded?  If you answer in the affirmative; do you just strike up a conversation immediately?    If you answer in the negative; well... Well, I guess nothing happens in that case.  I mean, honestly, what happens next?

Just another product of the Facebook generation in which we live.  Don't actually try and speak to the person to determine their attitude and receptiveness to a potentially sensitive idea, just e-mail them or slap it on their wall!  Yeah, that will correct everything.  Or nothing, most likely.

Then again maybe Steve Phillips has some advice for me:
  • So what do you think, Steve? (Awful Announcing)
  • Should I pray about it, Steve? (With Leather)
  • Or maybe the answer is in my past... Steve? (The Sports Hernia)

Oh and this whole scenario is purely hypothetical, of course.

I'll be okay, I promise.

You make sure to do the same.

1 comment: