Monday, November 2, 2009

Cubicle Confessions




So, I watched AMP Energy 500 race at Talladega SUPERspeedway this weekend.  And while the carnage during the Packer game was certainly ample, that which occurred down the stretch in Alabama was much more entertaining than that garbage in Lambeau.  Besides Talladega is known for being the fastest (closed) track in NASCAR and unlike most races, the checkered flag is up for grabs pretty much until the final lap.  Of course, watching at home, I have no appreciation for how fast these guys are going because there really is no frame of reference.  In football, I can look at the yard-markers and guesstimate a receiver's 40 from the comfort of my television.

But regardless, I found myself captivated by this race.  If you think tailgating is traveling anywhere within 10 feet of the car in front of you, well then we might as well consider Talladega to be 500 miles of full-on Auto-Sodomy, if it weren't such a despiacbly disgusting and illegal act, of course... Ahem.  And they have this rear-bumper cam that they like to use, and it is jaw-dropping because the trailing cars are less than a foot away in some instances.  No wonder wrecks occur so often; they're ignoring Driver's Ed. day 1 stuff here.

But that's the very problem.  The most exciting part of the race is the crash.  I mean, what?  Crashes rarely benefit anyone, unless you're in the lead with less than 2 laps to go, and generally ruin multiple drivers.  And because I am completely outside of the NASCAR culture, this could be a completely incorrect point I am making.  But, to the non-NASCAR fan, the wreck IS the most exciting part because Whoa! Something actually happened!

And while I am not saying that I could watch 500 miles of this stuff, I enjoyed this NASCAR experience more than any other experience I may have had in the past.  That being said, it's still not a sport.

PS. I'll be sitting on my own version of the poll tomorrow, so I will not be dropping any boss blogs. Of course, Deuce will still be around, so it should be a productive day as usual...

b...

Buh....

BAHHHHHHH!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. What's that? Too busy beating your wife during Talladega to write? Figures.

    ReplyDelete